Landlord's Gas and Electrical safety certificates

Providing Landlord safety certificates for both gas and electric appliances in Wimbledon SW19, Balham SW12, Tooting SW17, Streatham SW16, Raynes Park SW20 and all over South West London and Surrey.

For Landlord's renting out accommodation, we take the hassle out of contacting two companies to have your annual gas safety certificate and electrical safety certificate (PIR) renewed. Legally, a Landlord needs to have an annual Gas safety certificate for the property. A copy must be kept for 2 years and a copy presented to the tenant. For Electrical Safety certificates, a Periodic Inspection Report also known as a PIR is advisable - although not a legal requirement. A PIR will cover the landlord for anywhere from 2 to 5 years.

Landlord's gas safety certificate

A typical gas safety inspection will include the following checks to ensure that the appliance is safe to use and meets the legal requirements:

  • Appliance operating pressure and heat input test
  • Correct operation of all safety devices
  • Ensure the system has adequate ventilation
  • Visual examination of the flue
  • A flue flow test
  • A spillage test
  • Inspection of all seal and gas joints
  • The appliance is safe to use

Gas safety certificate

Once the appropriate checks have been made a check list will be made that typically includes:

  • The date the appliance or flue was examined
  • The address where the appliance is installed
  • The landlord's details and / or managing agent
  • Description and location of the appliance or flue
  • Recognition of and recording of any defects
  • The name and signature of the gas operative
  • The CORGI registration or Gas Safe registration number of the engineer

On completion of the above safety checks the gas engineer will accurately record the findings on the Landlord/Homeowner Gas Safety Record. The document is in 3 parts. One to be kept by the Landlord, one to be issued to the tenant and the third to be kept by the gas engineer and registered with Corgi or Gas Safe.

If in the course of the gas safety inspection, we find that the gas system is unsafe or needs repair we will advise you before we commence remedial work.

I am a Landlord. Why do I need an electrical safety certificate (PIR)?

As a Landlord, it is important to ensure that all electrical appliances and fittings within the property you rent out are safe.

However, Unlike Corgi Gas regulations, there is no legislation that demands you must have a landlord electrical safety certificate. That said, should any electrical fittings or appliances within your rental property cause actual harm to the tenant, you could be held liable. In the worst case scenario, your tenant could sue you for damages or you might be brought before a court for negligence under the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994.

What is a Periodic Inspection Report (PIR)?

A Periodic Inspection Report (PIR) is an electrical test on the condition of the electrical wiring, installations and electrical connections such as accessories light switches and electric sockets within a property.

The electrical installation - such as the wiring in a house - is tested against current electrical safety standards. The report lists any faults, possible concerns, and potential problems that need further investigation. The PIR report also provides a timescale of urgency on which action should be taken. The electrical test itself does not attempt to repair any of problems that maybe highlighted. The report can be used to decide whether to budget for any remedial works or additional investigation.

A Periodic Inspection Report (PIR) may be recommended every year or every 2 to 5 years depending on the age, use and condition of the building.

Cost of a Periodic Inspection Report (PIR)

The cost of a PIR in a commercial premises will depend on: the size of premises, number of electrical circuits, condition of the circuits, presence and accuracy of circuit labelling, documentation of circuit amendments over time, ease of access for our engineers to visit and test (which will require us to isolate power to circuitry). For an accurate estimate we will visit your premises and conduct a survey.

The cost of a PIR for a domestic property depends on the number of rooms and size of the installation. Time is the factor with regard to cost of the inspection. Each circuit needs to be investigated and tested.

Click here for the cost of an electrical Periodic Inspection Report (PIR).

Most premises will fail an electrical PIR

Please be aware that unless you have recently installed your electrical system or perform periodic remedial work on your electrical system - most premises are unlikely to pass modern safety standards. Many electricians and electrical companies will use this fact to give you a 'Free' survey. They are confident in the knowledge that the report will highlight problems with the electrics that will then have the opportunity to repair - and charge for.

We only perform independent electrical tests and reports, providing you with a report of works necessary, that can then be used to obtain a quote from an electrician or electrical company to perform the work.

Contact us on 0844 318 1738 for more information on gas and electric safety certificates.

Pen and paper in a circle Boiler in a circle Happy Woman in a circle Red Telephone in a circle

Free Quotations

Plumbing Services


Contact Us

We provide FREE quotations for boiler installation.

Fully specified with no obligation to you.
Our services include: New boiler installs, boiler repair, plumbing, gas safety certificates, power flushing radiators. We work hard to ensure that our customers receive a quality of service that continues to build our reputation. For more information on our full range of plumbing services, please call us on 020 8719 0325 or contact us.